BCAUL pilot project - BCAUL descriptions
This is historical development documentation, migrated from the now-defunct Artefactual wiki. The content was first added there October 16, 2008, and last updated on November 7, 2008. For more information, see the landing page for this development project: BCAUL Pilot Project. The content was moved to the AtoM wiki on July 29, 2015.
- Contents: Purpose | Mapping | Migation issues
- Document status: draft.
- Last updated: 7 Nov 2008; incorporated comments by BCAUL administrator.
Existing BCAUL can export description records using XML tags that correspond to BCAUL database field names. This document maps the BCAUL fields to analogs in Qubit to support bulk import of the data into Qubit.
The following table lists each BCAUL field, a sample of the type of data it contains, the corresponding Qubit field, an indication of whether the data should be migrated or not, and notes/comments/explanations.
|BCAUL field||Sample data||Qubit field||Migrate||Notes|
|Control number||SFU-103||information_object::description_identifier||Yes||2 components of the control number (e.g. SFU-103): repository code + number.
Map to description_identifier:
But in long term, should description_identifier be used to store id assigned by local institution's own database (if applicable)?
|Date modified||20021023154800.0||information_object::updated_at||No||BCAUL time-stamp.|
|Status codes||990628i19631997 eng||information_object::updated_at
event::start_date and end_date
|Yes||String contains 5 pieces of information:
|Title||Board of Governors fonds||information_object::title||Yes|
|Alt. title||information_object::alternate_title||Yes||Not currently used in BCAUL; no data to migrate.|
|Dates||1963-1997||event::date_display||Yes||Map to date_display (text field). Normalized start / end years can be extracted from BCAUL Status codes field (see above).|
|Physical desc.||10.75 m of textual records;14 audio reels||information_object::extent_and_medium||Yes||Should return extent statements on separate lines.|
|Bio/Admin History||The Board of Governors is the University's primary governing body. As established by the ...||actor::history||Yes||No paragraph breaks.|
|Custodial hist||The series of video reels and videotapes that ...||information_object::archival_history||Yes||No paragraph breaks.|
|Scope/Content||The fonds consists of records ...||information_object::scope_and_content||Yes||No paragraph breaks.|
|Title source||Title based on the name of the creating body.||note::type="source of title proper"||Yes|
|Date note||note::type="dates of creation"||Yes|
|Physical desc. note||Includes 142 photographs, 50 negatives, 67 slides, 6 CD-R discs of digital photographs ...||note::type="physical description"||Yes|
|No||Qubit uses language and script codes from Symfony; it will be easier to get these values from BCAUL's Status codes field (see above).|
|Originals||information_object::location_of_originals||Yes||Not currently used in BCAUL.|
|Other formats||information_object::location_of_copies||Yes||Not currently used in BCAUL; no data to migrate.|
|Restrictions||Access to some records in this collection is restricted, in accordance with Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Legislation...||information_object::access_conditions||Yes||Can't distinguish conditions governing access (ISAD 3.4.1) vs conditions governing reproduction (ISAD 3.4.2); map all restrictions data to conditions governing access.|
|Finding aids||A file list is available...||information_object::finding_aids||Yes|
|Associated/related||information_object::related_units_description||Yes||Not currently used in BCAUL; no data to migrate.|
|Repository||Simon Fraser University. Archives and Records Management Department||information_object::repository_id
|No||Get from repository code in Control number field.|
|Provenance||Simon Fraser University. Board of Governors||event::actor_role="creator" actor_id=" "||Yes|
|Other names||event::actor_id=" " information_object_id=" "||Yes||Map along with BCAUL Names and Provenance fields to Qubit name access points (handed in the event table linking an actor to an information_object).
|Part of||ANGNW-446||information_object::parent_id||Yes||Foreign key field linking to parent description's Control number.|
|See also||No||Not currently used in BCAUL; no data to migrate.|
|Names||Bennett, W.A.C. (William Andrew Cecil), 1900-1979;Mitchell, David J. (David Joseph), 1954-||event::actor_id=" " information_object_id=" "||Yes||In BCAUL data, names are delimited by semi-colons, include full names and dates of existence (years).
Create actor record for name, use event to link to description as access point.
|Online Finding Aid||http://www.sfu.ca/archives/F-33/F-33.html||property::name="online_finding_aid" value=" "||Yes||Map to custom field (property record).|
|Shelved at||No||Not currently used in BCAUL; no data to migrate.|
This sections notes problems and issues relating to normalizing BCAUL data for import into Qubit.
- Normalized date range years need to be extracted from BCAUL Status codes field.
- Map BCAUL Provenance, Names, and Other names to actor authority records.
- BCAUL Names is a string containing multiple names, separated by semi-colons; individual names include dates (years); personal names formatted LastName, FirstName.
- Need a way to extract birth / death dates, then register as event of actor.
- BCAUL allows 2 levels of description via Part of field (e.g. series linked to fonds).
- Uses the values from BCAUL Control number field to manage links; this field maps to Qubit description_identifier.
- In Qubit parent / child link is managed by identifier values in parent_id field.
- Need way to substitute BCAUL control numbers with Qubit identifiers in Qubit parent_id field.
- Map BCAUL Repository to actor and repository records.
- Get repository data from BCAUL institution records.
- Preserve BCAUL repository codes to link repositories and descriptions.
- But replace codes by LAC codes (inter library loan codes)?
- Need to map / extract from BCAUL Status codes field Symfony language and script codes.
- Substitute semi-colons in BCAUL Physical desc. field with paragraph returns to get each extent statement on own line.
Online finding aids
- Preserve link to institution's own local online finding aid?