BCAUL pilot project - Qubit import: BCAUL repositories
This is historical development documentation, migrated from the now-defunct Artefactual wiki. The content was first added and last updated on November 7, 2008. For more information, see the landing page for this development project: BCAUL Pilot Project. The content was moved to the AtoM wiki on July 29, 2015.
- Contents: Purpose | Mapping | Migation issues
- Document status: in progress.
- Last updated: 7 Nov 2008; created on basis of sample data.
Existing BCAUL can export repository records using XML tags that correspond to BCAUL database field names. This document maps the BCAUL fields to analogs in Qubit to support bulk import of the data into Qubit.
The following table lists each BCAUL field, a sample of the type of data it contains, the corresponding Qubit field, an indication of whether the data should be migrated or not, and notes/comments/explanations.
|BCAUL field||Sample data||Qubit field||Migrate||Notes|
|Control code||SFU||repository::identifier||Yes||Continue to use BCAUL repository codes or integrate with LAC's Interlibrary Loan's Library symbols?|
|Repository||Simon Fraser University. Archives and Records Management Department||actor::authorized_form_of_name||Yes|
|Contact||Ian Forsyth, University Archivist / Information and Privacy Coordinator||contact_information::contact_person||Yes|
|Address||8888 University Dr||contact_information::street_address||Yes||BCAUL data includes street, city, province, postal code; need way to extract street_address only.|
|Hours||Tuesday-Friday, 9:00-12:30, 13:30-16:00; Closed Monday||repository::opening_time||Yes|
|Summary||Total Volume: 1,567.59 metres
Inclusive Dates: 1900-1995
Predominant Dates: 1963-1990
|Holdings||The mandate of the Archives is to acquire original archival materials that document ...||repository::collecting_policies||Yes||On basis of sample data, BCAUL Holdings maps more closely is ISDIAH Records management and collecting policies (5.3.5) than to ISDIAH Archival and other holdings (5.3.7).|
|Online resources||Web site provides information about the following program areas ...||repository::finding_aids||Yes|
|Type||University/College||repository::type_id||Yes||Need to harmonize BCAUL and default Qubit repository types taxonomies.|
1 BCAUL repository record generates:
- 1 Qubit object (assigns unique Qubit database id)
- 1 actor (corporate body authority record)
- 1 repository (description of holdings etc).
- 1 contact_information (store address data, primary_contact=1).
- Need policy decision: how to form repository codes.
- ISDIAH assumes national authority to assign.
- LAC currently maintains a registry to assign codes for libraries that participates in interlibrary loan programs, includes some archives.
- BCAUL Address field merges data that is managed in Qubit as separate fields: street_address, city, region (i.e. province), country, postal_code.
- On import can globally set region="BC", country="Canada".
- Qubit city maps to BCAUL City.
- Need method for extracting street_address and postal_code from BCAUL Address.
- Need to harmonize BCAUL and Qubit taxonomies.
- Need policy decision: retain existing BCAUL value list, replace by default Qubit value list or create new value list.
- Determine before migration, use appropriate Qubit term ids on import.